have felt most welcome since my arrival. All the Kenyans I have met at work, in my housing compound, and in the clinics and hospitals that the project works have said “Karibu” to me when they learn that I have just arrived in Kenya.I arrived in Kisumu last Tuesday evening and was greeted at my new flat by my wonderful roommate. She also works at the same place as me and for a very similar project. We are both public health students in the US but she is originally from Belgium. I think this past week would have been much more difficult and pretty lonely had it not been for her. She has been in Kenya a week longer then me and has been a wonderful guide.
Kisumu is Kenya’s third largest town with a recorded population of 250,000 people. Like most cities of a certain size in developing countries there are several substantial slums or unofficial residence on the edges of the town, interestingly enough this is also where the richer hours also tend to be located. I had a wonderful view of the city when my plane was arriving from Nairobi; just at the sun was setting. Kisumu is a fairly flat city and it has spread out along the banks of Lake Victoria, though if it wasn’t for the fish sold in the Market you might forget you are near the lake since there are few places in town where it can be seen. I live in a compound in the outskirts of the town.

Our compound is surrounded by high walls and has a guard on duty all day every day. There are is one large house split into 5 small apartments and then 3 independent houses, all surrounded by a beautiful garden and even a swimming pool. The owners of the place actually own the main plant nursery in town which explains in part the grounds of the compound. Our apartment is fairly nice we have a little kitchen and living area. I have my own little room, though it isn’t completely closed off from the rest of
the apartment. I do feel like I am in a little cocoon at night when I sleep under my bed net. We even sometimes have hot water for our shower! Thankfully, the non-hot water is fairly warm, nothing like the cold water coming off the mountain in Bolivia. The houses in the compound are filled right now with foreigners staying here for varying amounts of time, there are 5 students doing internships including myself and my roommate, a volunteer, 4 missionaries, and a woman who also does health work who is here with her family including 2 little girls. There are 6 of us about the same age so we often hang out in the evening and are planning all sorts of weekend trips in the area to visit the sites.
2 comments:
Glad you're settling in. Good luck with everything!
The picture of the bed netting brings back fond memories of Kenya! I'm glad that you are feeling "welcome."
This Swahili expression will serve you well: "Asante sana" ("Thank you very much") We will continue to enjoy your adventures vicariously! -- Steve
Post a Comment