Tuesday, June 12, 2007

An Epidemiologist




I am now officially embarked on my summer adventures as an Epidemiologist. I arrived in Kenya last night and will go on to my field site later today. An epidemiologist can be defined as a person who studies all elements contributing to the occurrence or absence of a disease in a population. In a very general sense that is what I will be doing this summer, studying the disease occurrence in a rural population of people living near Lake Victoria. This is near the town of Kisumu in southwestern Kenya. I will post a more detailed description of the project and Kenya in a few days.

Before feeling that I could officially call myself an epidemiologist, I thought I needed to make a bit of pilgrimage to the John Snow pump and pub in Soho, England. I figure it is nearly as important to make a stop there as it is to finish me degree. John Snow is considered to be one of the fathers of epidemiology due to his work in tracing cholera cases in Soho England in 1854. If you want to learn more about John Snow and epidemiology you can check out his entry on wikipedia (not the only source of good information but in this case it will do): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Snow_(physician)

The pump on Broad street, pictured above, is the one that Dr. Snow used to trace the cases of cholera in the neighborhood. In epidemiology, people say that they are looking for their pump handle. After the official picture with the pump, my friend Alison (also a public health student) and I headed over to the pub for a pint of cider, since you really don't want to drink the water.

There it is then, pilgrimage complete I am now an epidemiologist (or at least an epidemiologist in training.)


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Alka Aggarwal Singh said...

So which experience moved you more - the pump or the pub?
The picture is awesome & so was your write-up - enough to make me envy, "I wish I was there !"
Looking forward to reading more. All the best for Kenya trip,
alka

Anonymous said...

Hey Clara - good job seeking out the important places in London! The pictures have been great and I keep checking every day for more updates on how you are doing! Miss you!
Mary

Anonymous said...

Clara!
What a grand adventure! I wish you the very best in your studies, travel, and explorations. Thank you for taking the time to share your insights with us. Go have fun and be well!
much love,
Susan