Thursday, July 26, 2007

A little bit more...

At tea time yesterday one of my friends asked me what I had left on my list of things to do in Kenya. I leave in just over two weeks and so the sensation that time is running out is certainly in the air. This goes both for activities in Kenya and for my project at work.

My list actually wasn't very long to start with, I didn't really know what to expect and had not spent much time reading my guide book so wasn't aware of the options. I knew from friends who had been in Kenya before that from Kisumu I should go to the Kakamega Rainforest and to Nakuru National Park. Those were the only two things on my list. Those were both wonderful trips and very different locations. Kakamega is the only tropical Rainforest left in Kenya. We spent a weekend there at a wonderful English countryside looking retreat. It was relaxing, quiet at night, and a fun place to hike. I saw many birds, flowers, butterflies, and monkeys. One of our hikes took us to the Yala River which was bursting on its banks from the recent rains. I spent that weekend with two anthropologist and 3 other summer interns. We had great conversations long into the night about culture and health issues in Kenya, it was fascinating to me.

Last weekend I went to Nakuru to see the flamingos. That was probably the one thing that I really wanted to do this summer. I find flamingos fascinating and to see so many of them was pretty amazing. There are more then 3,000 flamingos on Lake Nakuru. The sound they make is pretty amazing as are the way they interact and their color. Being by the lake there were also many other types of birds not all of them as beautiful and graceful as the flamingos. I was able to stand on the bank of the lake for nearly an hour and just watch them. I loved it and took lots of pictures. The rest of the Nakuru Park was interesting too and we saw many animals including lots of buffalo, zebras, giraffes, and rhinos. Zebras are still my favorite though flamingos are a close second.

As my time here comes to an end I am curious who has been reading my blog this summer and to hear if you have any questions about Kenya, my life here, the work I have been doing, or about zebras. So if you read this post I would love to hear from you, please post a comment or question so that I can have an idea of all those who have been following my stories for the past two months. Thanks for reading and I hope that you enjoy reading my posts in the next few weeks too. I will try to answer the questions either directly or in a future post on the blog.

6 comments:

Cait said...

I'm reading!

Wilton said...

So, I'm going to be really honest here and say that this is the first post I've read. I'm going back, however, in order, and reading all the CLARA FICATION I can get. Now that I think of it, some Clara-style clarifcation would have served me well lately...

Anonymous said...

ma Clare,
Je suis en train de lire la biographie de Wangari Maathai, la femme kenyane qui a eu le Prix Nobel de la Paix il y a deux ans. Elle a fondé le Green Belt Movement au Kénya (entre autres ce groupe à aider à replanter des milliers d'arbres au Kenya). Est-ce que tu as entendu parler d'elle au Kenya et qu'en disent les gens? She was born close to Nyeri in the foothills of the Aberdare Mountain Range. She is Kikuyu.
Cécile

Anonymous said...

Est-ce que le lac était autrefis beacup plus large et allait jusqu'aux falaises? D'après tes photos que je viens de regarder à nouveau ça a l'ait si plat autour du lac qu'on pourrait penser que ça en a fait partie. Cécile

Anonymous said...

I was reading at the beginning and then missed quite a few posts while in Bolivia. If you think the internet connection is iffy in Carmen Pampa, you've never been to Chulumani. I have some catching up to do your adventures...

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed your blog, Clara! It's nice to see and hear about a bit of your world whenever I want to!